August 5th marks National Oyster Day, so naturally, we decided to host our own Oyster Week leading up to National Oyster Day! Here at Anna Maria Oyster Bar, we serve our oysters seven different ways:
- Garlic Parmesan
- Chipotle (Grandma George’s)
- Rockefeller (with bacon)
- Tequila Lime – NEW! house-made tequila citrus blend, garlic butter, and parmesan cheese baked and finished with scallions
You can order our oysters by the dozen or half-dozen. Can’t decide which style to try? Try our Oyster Sampler made up of three of each: Rockefeller, Chipotle, Garlic Parmesan, and Fried. We also serve Granddaddy Jake’s Oyster Stew…one of our absolute favorites on the menu!
While we love servin’ and consumin’ our delicious oysters, when the shells are disposed, they pile up in our ever-growing landfills. In early May, we started recycling our oyster shells! The oyster shells we recycle will be sent to Perico Preserve where the shells are then placed in a reef to make new oysters, which naturally filter the water.
- Oysters are consumed at seafood restaurants and placed in the special bins provided by Waste Pro. The shells are picked up every week.
- The recycled shells are turned into “oyster modules” created for habitat restoration projects.
- The habitat begins forming as larval oysters settle on the shells, creating the next generation of harvestable oysters in 3-5 years.
So come on in during our very own Oyster Week, and consume as many oysters as you want- knowing that the shells will be sent off to Perico Preserve!